How to Create a Healthy Somatic MindsetHeidi Hadley
In this week’s blog we are going to discuss why a healthy somatic mindset is important. We will consider a few steps to create a healthy mindset. Before we do, let’s consider a few questions and allow them to start considering this subject.
Whilst considering these questions, please direct them to you and no one else. This self reflection is part of uncovering what makes us ‘tick’ as an individual. It allows us to notice patterns of behaviour which may continue to surface.
- Do you like yourself? Do you love yourself?
- Do you take time to give yourself credit for achievements and goals?
- Do you feel comfortable in your own skin?
- Do you feel superior to others?
- Do you feel inferior to others?
- Do you feel equal to others?
- Do you look for faults in others?
- When a crisis happens, do you look for a proactive approach to the situation?
- When a crisis happens, do you become bitter and take out your frustrations on others?
- Are you jealous of other people - their personality, appearance, their achievements?
- Do you drag other people into your dramas to justify your behaviour and actions?
These questions help us to start identifying how our mind and emotions are framed. Thanks to neuroplasticity, we know our brain is not hard wired and we can train it to act in a new pattern of behaviour. So let us consider how the questions and your personal answers with the following information can help to create a healthier, more centred soma.
Self Care and Love
When I was studying Neuropsychology a few years ago, we considered this topic because at the time social media was only start to emerge. Fast forward a few years and the subjects we studied resonate so much more with what we now see in society.
Within each of us we have a fire that burns, it could be determination, focus, courage, stamina, honesty, integrity, loyalty, passion, conviction or trustworthiness. When you feel strong and confident, this fire within you burns and when it does, your health, mindset and plans shine brilliantly.
When you feel strong and empowered, you can experience the following:
- You feel in tune with your mind and body
- You move your body
- You nourish your body
- You feed your mind with healthy thoughts
- The fire that burns within you, whatever that trait may be, flourishes and allows you to flow with your life plans
- You are willing to try new experiences
- You live intentionally, not by habit
However this is not always the case. If you are ‘out of whack’ with certain areas, you cannot fire on all cylinders and you begin to struggle. Pain, limited mobility, poor posture, inflammation and other health issues can occur when you allow certain areas of your lifestyle to become less important or your focus shifts. For instance with reality TV, social media and photo shopped images, people are now focusing on perfection. This is a very unhealthy mindset to create and only leads to dis-ease within our soma. Our soma (whole being- emotional, mental, physical and spiritual health) is not a trophy or achievement. Rather it is a one off! With our quirky personality, our core values, our unique bone structure and features, there is only one of us. If we were all the same, life would be very boring! That is why comparing ourselves to others is not healthy and is certainly not mindful. As Thomas Hanna, the creator of the modailty Somatics once said, “Somas exist in time.” We are constantly evolving and growing. When we focus on progress as opposed to perfection, we will develop a healthier mindset, which will allow us to glow from the inside out.
When you deeply honour and respect your soma, you stop using scales, cease obsessing over calories and start nurturing your soma by feeding it healthy foods and drinks which will support your organs and create a lightness and hydrating effect to every cell in your body. When you switch your mindset, you will no longer punish, control or numb your body. Instead you will sense and feel how creating a somatic lifestyle creates an increase in energy, improvement in your sleep patterns, optimistic and empowered mindset with enthusiasm, excitement and a zest for life.
Where is your focus?
Where is your focus? Do you always think the grass is greener on the other side? Do you feel bitter or resentful when others are achieving more than you? Are you fixated with your weight? Calories? Diet? Your breast size? Your wrinkles? Your clothes size? Exercise regime? This focus is false because you tell yourself that you cannot grow and develop as a person unless you achieve these goals or ‘milestones.’ Your mind is fascinating because you kid yourself by telling yourself that once you achieve this you are beautiful, worthy, of note or back in control. However this false belief is linked with fear and once you achieve what you think is your goal, it becomes a void because you have only focused on the outer person, not addressing who you are deep within.
This is where Somatics plays a crucial role because in a world where the word ‘mindfulness’ is trendy, there are many ego centric actions and behaviours which have created a ‘mindless’ approach to pursuits, focusing on the outward appearance. When you deeply nurture your soma, you know that you have to listen to it and work with what your nervous system is communicating to your muscles, organs and breathing apparatus. With the help of trained Clinical Somatics Educators, you can begin to connect with your soma and heighten your awareness to your internal environment. All that is required is a willingness to allow yourself to learn movements, techniques and approaches to help reduce pain, improve posture, increase mobility and develop mindfulness. That is why I created the Total Somatics Approach to Health & Wellness Online Program at www.TotalSomatics.com. I wanted to bring these skills and teaching tools to you, in the comfort of your own home, at a time and pace that suits you. The Online program is packed with lots of tools and techniques to heighten your awareness to how you feel from the inside out. It continues to be a popular choice for people around the world and from your feedback we are constantly creating material and content to tailor Somatics to different demographics.
So what can you do at this moment to help shift your focus to a healthier mindset? Let’s consider a few top tips.
- Create an attitude of gratitude. For every negative thought or comment you have about yourself or others, create two positive points about you or that person.
- Simplify your life. The more a person possesses, the more angst they create from within. They feel they have to control everything. What absolutely necessary things do you need in your home and at work? Where could you reduce unnecessary decision making? Do you really need all those shoes? Do you really need to the latest mobile phone?
- Stop and reconnect with yourself and nature. When you are fixated on something, you become blinkered and no longer stop and enjoy the moment. You never get time back, every day is so special and everything you absorb when you are mindful creates a calm, centred and contented soma. Somas exist in time, so what you absorb and relish today continues to shape who you are as an unique and amazing individual. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having goals, visions and looking ahead, however, it is very important to stop and enjoy this very moment. Life is precious.
- Stop creating your reality by looking at social media as a guide. It is all smoke and mirrors. Don’t equate skinny or thin figures with being healthy. There is more to being healthy than the size of someone’s waist or whether they have a thigh gap or not. Limit your time looking at screens and start looking at faces and nature. Your confidence and interpersonal skills will flourish.
- Instead of comparing yourself to others or creating a punishing regime to achieve an outward appearance, stop, instead care and nurture yourself. Do you have a pet? Have you ever had a pet? Think about how you nurture them. You feed them the correct food, provide the fluid intake which will support them, cuddle them and exercise them. If you truly love your pet, you would never treat them unkindly, speak cruelly to them, deprive them of calories and overwork them with exercise. Instead you deeply care and love your fur baby or babies! Could you adopt that self care approach to yourself? Instead of being wrapped up in your outward appearance, look at yourself from within. Appreciate who you are, how far you have come, what you have given to others and how you are caring for yourself.
Total Somatics considers how our mindset influences how we move and behave. When we begin to adopt a somatic approach to various areas of our health, we begin to increase our awareness and understanding. Within the Total Somatics Approach to Health & Wellness Online Program you will discover how these various areas are addressed. Somatic Movement is brilliant, yet if other areas of your life are not being addressed, It becomes purely a mechanical exercise. When the principles are adopted and you are focusing on what you notice from the inside out, you shift your perspective and that’s when change can begin.
The Total Somatics Approach to Health & Wellness Online Program can be performed in the comfort and privacy of your own home, at a time that suits you. It is self paced and as a result suits many learning styles and approaches. I am available via email or skype if you would like guidance during this time.
I look forward to sharing this amazing information and skills with you.
Heidi Hadley xx